Zan Mitrev's TeamBack to Doctors
Academician prof. Dr. Zhivko Popov
Surgeon urologist and transplantologist
Place of birth:
|1976||Doctor of medicine (M.D.), Faculty of Medicine, University Ss. Cyril and Methodius – Skopje.|
|1983||Specialist surgeon-urologist, Faculty of Medicine, University Ss. Cyril and Methodius|
|1994||Diploma of profound studies in surgical sciences (Diplome d’etudes approfondies en sciences chirurgicales, D.E.A.), Option: Cancerology University Paris V Rene Descartes, France, Thesis: “Assessment of Proliferation and Excessive Expression of Protein 53 in Urinary Bladder Cancer: Prognostic Value” mentor, Prof. Didier Houssin|
|1990||Doctoral dissertation (Ph.D.): Faculty of Medicine, University Ss. Cyril and Methodius Skopje, Thesis: “Assessment of reactivity of locoregional tumor lymphadenopathy and role of lymphadenectomy in urogenital cancer diagnostics, mentor Prof. Dr. Blagoj Badiev|
|1998||Doctoral dissertation (Ph.D.): University Paris V Rene Descartes, France, Thesis: “Molecular Markers of Urinary Bladder Cancer: Prognostic Value” mentor, Prof. Dr. Dominique K. Chopin|
|2011||European diploma for transplantation surgery (and member of the European Board of Surgery – FEBS)|
|1979-1983||Specialization in urology: Clinic of Urology – Faculty of Medicine Skopje; Institute of Urology and Nephrology, Faculty of Medicine, Belgrade and Clinic of Urology, Clinical Center Ljubljana.|
|1985||Mayo Clinic, Medical Faculty, Rochester, Minnesota, USA (Prof. W. L. Furlow). Three-month specialization in use of prostheses in urology, penile surgery, lymph dissections in urogenital cancer and other major surgical procedures.|
|1985-1986||Centre Hospitalier Universitaire (CHU) Henri Mondor, Faculte de Medecine, Creteil, Universite Paris XII Val de Marne, France, (Service d’Urologie, Prof. J. Auvert, Prof C.C. Abbou): University certificate for one-year specialization in transplantation surgery. (Service de Nephrologie: Prof. G.Lagrue, Prof. Ph.Lang):|
|1985||Centre Medico – chirurgical FOCH, Paris, France (Service d’Urologie, Prof. M. Carney): 4 month supplementary education in the field of urologic oncology, radical cystoprostatectomies and substitution of the urinary bladder|
|1992-1994||CHU Henri Mondor Service d’Urologie, (Prof. C.C. Abbou); Centre De Recherches Chirurgicales, (Prof. D.K.Chopin), Faculte de Medecine, Creteil, Universite Paris XII Val de Marne, France: Two-year supplementary education in the field of kidney and multiorganic transplantation, urologic oncology (radical surgical procedures with reconstruction), as well as scientific-research work in the field of immunology of urogenital cancer|
|2000-2002||Two study stays in the AKH hospital in Vienna, at Prof. Michael Marberger|
|2003||Study stay at the University in Tel Aviv at Prof. Amram Ayalon|
|2005-2007||Two study stays at Prof. Urs Studer at the University in Bern, Switzerland (dedicated to surgery of urogenital cancer and laparoscopic surgery).|
- University clinical head of urologic surgery, CHU Henri Mondor, Faculty of Medicine, Creteil, University Paris XII, Val de Marne, France. (1993 -1994).
- Full professor in surgery at the Faculty of Medicine, University Ss. Cyril and Methodius, Skopje, Republic of Macedonia (two reselections). Teacher at the Faculty of Medicine in Skopje since 1991.
- University invited professor in urologic surgery at CHU Henri Mondor, Faculty of Medicine, Creteil, University Paris XII, Val de Marne, France. (1997 -1998; 1998 -1999; 1999 – 2000; 2001; 2003).
- Regular member of the Macedonian Academy of Sciences and Arts – MANU (2009)
- Member of the Federal Commission for Transplantation at the Federal Ministry of Health, Belgrade, Yugoslavia. (1991).
- Head and founder of the Center for Kidney Transplantation within the Urology Clinic, Clinical Center Skopje (1996-2012). (more than 265 transplantations of kidneys from live donor performed, 23 of which are cadaveric).
- Coordinator of the surgical clinics, Clinical Center, Skopje. (1996-97; 1999-2002).
- National coordinator and head of “Macedonia Transplant”, (coordinative body for transplantation of organs and tissues), within the Ministry of health of Republic of Macedonia. (2002 -2011).
- Director of the University Clinic of Urology, Clinical Center, Skopje (1995-97; 1999 – 2002) (2006 -02/2012).
- International Society of Urology (Societe Internationale d’Urologie – SIU), (1995 -). National Delegate (1998 – 2012).
- European Association of Urology – EAU (1998 -).
- European Society of Urologic Oncology (member and representative for Eastern Europe of the Society Board) (2002 – 2006).
- Member of the American Urologic Association (AUA) (2006-)
- Francophone Society for transplantation (Societe Fancophone de Transplantation) (2006-)
- European Society for Organ Transplantation – ESOT (2010)
- Macedonian Association of Urology (President 1999-2002, 2010-)
- President and organizer of the First Macedonian Congress for Urology in cooperation with the European Association of Urology – EAU (2002) in Ohrid and of the 7th Congress of Urologists of Southeastern Europe (2011) in Skopje.
NATIONAL AND INTERNATIONAL AWARDS:
|2000||National award “11 October” for accomplishments in the field of surgery and kidney transplantation, Skopje.|
|2002||Medal for contribution to French culture and science: “Academic Palm” (Chevalier dans I Ordre des Palmes Academiques) with decree of the Prime Minister of Republic of France.|
|2007||Award “13 November” of the City of Skopje for a special contribution in the development and the international affirmation in the field of urologic surgery and kidney transplantation in Skopje.|
|2010||State award “23 October” for achievements in the field of surgery and science.|
GRANTS AND PROJECTS:
- Member of the Research Group for Urogenital Tumors at the 12th Paris University. (Director: Prof. D.K.Chopin); (1992 – 2005) of which many publications in magazines arise, with a high impact factor. He initiates, participates and coordinates many projects for clinical and fundamental scientific researches in the field of urogenital tumors and their immunology with a special emphasis on molecular markers of urinary bladder cancer.
- 2007-2009. Grant from the Sixth Framework Program for research, technological development and demonstration of the European Commission with a working title: Integration of DNA, RNA and protein markers in the prognosis and diagnosis of urinary bladder cancer. Supplied equipment for establishing a bank for urogenital cancer (main researcher for the Republic of Macedonia and national representative in the project’s consortium).
TEACHING ACTIVITY AND EDUCATION OF STAFF:
- Invited university professor (Professeur Invite des Universites) at Paris 12 Val de Marne University, Faculty of Medicine, Creteil, France, with full-time work of four months annually, in the university years 1997/1998; 1998/1999; 1999/2000, and one and a half month annually in the years 2001 и 2003.
- During these stays, he was actively involved in the performance and mentoring of the studies for acquiring university diploma for profound knowledge of surgical sciences (DEA)
- Three memoirs of which two for doctoral dissertations and one for profound knowledge of surgical sciences, reports on scientific-research projects, editor to edition number 5 from 2000 in the famous French scientific magazine Annales d’Urologie, dedicated to kidney transplantation.
- Author and coauthor of 172 scientific and specialized works, with 48 publications in total, indexed in MEDLINE and more than 320 quotations in the international index.
- Complete urologic diagnostics with ultrasound of the urinary tract
- TRUS biopsy of the prostate
- Placement of J-J probes
- Catheterization of urinary bladder
- Instilation of drugs in urinary bladder
- Endoscopic interventions
- Internal urethrotomy
- Transurethral resection of bladder tumor
- Transurethral resection of the prostate
- Ureterorenoscopy with lithotripsy (stone breaking in urinary tract – endoscopic)
- Classical (open) surgeries
- Transvesical prostatectomy (classic surgery of benign prostate enlargement),
- Nephrectomy (kidney removal – in non-functional kidney and kidney tumor)
- Circumcision (phimosis surgery)
- Hydrocele of testicle
- Removal of testicle due to testicular tumor (orchifunicolectomy).